This post contains affiliate links.
A Valentine’s Paper Collage is an easy art project for early elementary aged kids because it is open-ended and uses inexpensive materials you already have at home or in your classroom.
As a classroom art teacher, I’m always looking for inexpensive ways to recycle and reuse our materials. It kills me to throw away scrap paper! I always set up special bin where my students throw away their painted scraps or regular scraps of paper. Nothing is wasted.
Valentine’s Paper Collage
My first-grade friends made these awesome and colorful Valentine’s paper collages. I’ve also made them with preschool and kindergarten children. This is a great process to experiment with tearing paper, overlapping paper, and gluing all the edges down.
- 10″ x 10″ piece of newspaper
- White Card Stock
- Tempera Cakes
- Paint Brush
- Heart Template (download here)
- Scraps of Painted Paper
- Glue Stick
1. Print out the heart shape. Then, cut and trace on white cardstock.
2. Glue the heart to a piece of 10″x10″ newspaper. Next, pick one color to paint the newspaper. Try not to paint on the heart.
3. Last, tear painted paper into smaller pieces and glue to the heart shape. Practice overlapping and gluing down all the edges.
Try this easy Valentine’s Paper Collage with your children or students. It’s the perfect inexpensive art project for a classroom party or art event.